Previous Qualifying Papers in Enviornment, Technology, and Society
- Allison Burger. 2007. “You Are What You Eat:” Food-Related Values and Participation in Community-Supported Agriculture.” (Thomas Rudel, O'Neill).
- Karen Stein. 2007. “Understanding Consumption and Environmental Change in China: A Cross-National Comparison of Consumer Patterns.” (Thomas Rudel, Leichenko)
- John Lang. 2005. “Reducing the Risk of Technology: Socially Embedded Trust.” (Lee Clarke, Patricia Roos)
- Janet Lorenzen. 2005. “Global Markets and Local Consumer Culture: A Reinterpretation of the McDonaldization Thesis.” (Thomas Rudel, Leichenko)
- Maria Perez-Lugo. 2001. “Media Uses in Disaster Situations: A New Focus on the Impact Phase.” (Sarah Rosenfield, Karen Cerulo)
- Maria Perez-Lugo. 2000. “The Mass Media and Disaster Awareness in Puerto Rico: A Case Study of the Floods in Barrio Tortugo.” (Thomas Rudel, O'Neill)
- Diane Bates. 1997. Green Imperialism Or Underdevelopment?: Sources of Variation in Tropical Rainforest Protection.” (Thomas Rudel, D. Randall Smith)
- Katharine Lane. 1996. “Mountain Miners of a Mineral Colony: Evidence of Agency Within Economic Dependency.” (Thomas Rudel, Oppenheimer)
- Jill Roper. 1996. “We Grow People: Community Gardening Programs as Solutions to the Problems of Low Income Neighborhoods.” (Katherine Edin, Thomas Rudel)
- Ruth Simpson. 1996. “The ‘Uncertain Response’ in Studies of Risk Perception.” (Patricia Roos, Lee Clarke)
Previous Dissertations in Political and Economic Sociology
- Dmitry Khodyakov. 2008. "Trust and Control in Counterpoint: A Case Study of Conductorless Orchestra." (Lee Clarke, Chair; Deborah Carr; Paul McLean; Patricia Roos). Behavioral/Social Scientist at RAND Corporation.
- Baris Mucen. 2008. "A Study of the Doxa of Modernization as the Limit of Political Reality in Turkey."
- John Lang. 2007. "Acceptable Trust? The Public Perception of Organizations Involved in Genetically Modified Food." (Lee Clarke, Chair; Paul McLean; Patricia Roos). Assistant Professor of Sociology at Occidental College.
- Vanina Leschziner,. 2007. "Recipes for Success: Culinary Styles, Professional Careers, and Institutional Patterns in the Field of High Cuisine." (Karen Cerulo, Chair; John Levi Martin; Paul McLean; Ann Mische). Assistant Professor of Sociology, University of Toronto.
- King-To Yeung. 2007. "Suppressing Rebels, Managing Bureaucrats: State Building During the Taiping Rebellion, 1850-1864." (John Levi Martin, Chair; Lee Clarke; Paul McLean; Ann Mische)
- Mahasti Hashemi. 2006. "Immigrants and Exiles: Iranian Women in the United States." (Martin Oppenheimer, Chair; Ethel Brooks; Karen Cerulo). Assistant Dean for Advising and Administration, Rutgers University.
- Kevin Keogan. 2006. "Policing the Boundaries Between 'Us' and 'Them': Immigrants, Narrative Identity, and the Politics of Inclusion/Exclusion." (Karen Cerulo, Chair; Ann Mische; Thomas Rudel)
- Courtney Bangert Jackson. 2005. "Attending Birth: Inter-Professional Competition Between Midwives and Physicians." (Patricia Roos, Chair; Judith Gerson; Sarah Rosenfield; D. Randall Smith). Charlotte Ellertson Postdoctoral Fellow at Ibis Reproductive Health, Boston, MA.
- Eric Kaldor. 2005. "Advancing Corporate Capitalism in Hungary." (Jozsef Borocz, Chair; Lee Clarke; Paul McLean; Patricia Roos). Assistant Professor of Sociology, SUNY-Brockport.
- Keumjae Park. 2005. "In our Different Names: Korean Immigrant Women and the Challenges of Post-Migration Identity Renegotiation." (Karen Cerulo, Chair; Vilna Bashi; Richard Williams). Assistant Professor of Sociology, Willliam Paterson University.
Previous Dissertations in Health, Population, and the Life Course
- Stephen Fichter. 2009. "Shepherding in 'Greener' Pastures: Causes and Consequences of the Dual Transition of Celibate Catholic Priests into Married Protestant Ministry." (Ellen Idler, Chair; Benjamin Zablocki; and Eviatar Zerubavel)
- Jenna Howard. 2008. "Recovery from Recovery: The Temporal Organization of Identity." (Eviatar Zerubavel, Chair; Deborah Carr" Allan Horwitz: and Sarah Rosenfield
- Karen Jaffe. 2008. "Forming Fat Identities." ( Deborah Carr, Chair; Allan Horwitz: Eviatar Zerubavel; John Worobey)
- John Lang. 2007. "Acceptable Trust? The Public Perception of Organizations Involved in Genetically Modified Food." (Lee Clarke, Chair; Paul McLean; and Patricia Roos)
- Ruth Simpson. 2006. "The Germ Culture: Modernity, Metaphor, and Epidemic Disease." (Eviatar Zerubavel, Chair; Jozsef Borocz;Ira Cohen; Allan Horwitz; and Richard Williams)
Previous Dissertations in Gender, Difference, and Inequality
- Colleen Nugent. 2009. "‘When You Procreate, Don't Hyphenate!’: Accounting for the Predominance of Fathers' Surnames for Children.”
Previous Dissertations in Environment, Technology, and Society
- Marlor, Chantelle. 2009. "Ways of Knowing: Epistemology, Ontology, and Community Among Ecologists, Biologists and First Nations Clam Diggers." (John Levi Martin, Chair; Eviatar Zerubavel; Thomas Rudel). Asst. Prof., University of the Fraser Valley in British Columbia, Department of Social, Cultural and Media Studies.
- Lang, John. 2007. "Acceptable Trust? The Public Perception of Organizations Involved in Genetically Modified Food." (Lee Clarke, Chair; Paul McLean; Patricia Roos). Asst. Prof., Occidental College, Department of Sociology.
- MacLennan, Jamie. 2005. "Solitude and Sociability: The Social World of Long Distance Hikers on the Appalachian Trail, (Thomas Rudel, Co-Chair; D. Randall Smith, Co-Chair; Deborah Carr). Asst. Prof., Georgia Southwestern State University, Department of Sociology."
- Perez-Lugo, Marla. 2003. "Vulnerability to Natural Disasters and the Mass Media, (Rudel, O’Neill, Cerulo). Assoc. Prof., U of Puerto Rico/Mayaguez, Department of Sociology."
- Bates, Diane. 2000. "Environmental Refugees? Colonist Migration from the Ecuadorian Amazon, (Rudel, Roos, Friedman). Assoc. Prof., The College of New Jersey, Department of Sociology and Anthropology."