Fellowships & Grants
- Sociology Department Small Grants
- Graduate School Travel Grant
- Center for Cultural Analysis Fellowship
- Special Study Opportunity and Pre-Dissertation Awards
- Bevier Fellowship
- Rutgers Center for Historical Analysis
- Professional Development Fund
The Department of Sociology has two competitions per year for small grants to support graduate student expenses for research or conference travel. We offer a limited number of grants for amounts up to $500.
pdf Research grants (305 KB) – These awards are intended to assist graduate students in covering the costs incurred in conducting their research. Budgeted items may include costs such as transcription, software not available in the department computer lab, payment to research subjects, printing costs for surveys, travel to research sites, special training seminars, etc. These grants do NOT fund equipment purchases.
pdf Conference travel grants (181 KB) – These awards are intended to assist in covering the costs incurred in traveling to a professional conference to present your research. Grants may be used to cover expenses for conference registration, transportation, lodging, and per diem food costs. You are eligible for a travel grant for presenting your research in a regular paper, roundtable, or poster session although priority will be given to regular paper presentations.
- Requirements: Completed application, description of research/conference, budget justification
- October 5, 2016 at 12:00 noon
- April 7, 2017 at 12:00 noon
The Graduate School awards Conference Travel Grants twice a year to help support the cost of travel for students to present their research at conferences.
- Requirements: Submit completed application
- Department Deadlines:
- September 19, 2016 at 12:00PM
- February 15, 2017 at 9:00AM
The Center for Cultural Analysis (CCA) offers annual fellowships to students who have completed their coursework and may be in the process of writing their dissertations. The fellows will participate in a seminar and attend all public functions of the CCA.
- Requirements: Letter of application (2-3 single-spaced pages), information form, a brief project abstract (250-400 words), CV, two letters of recommendation
- Department Deadline: November 17, 2016
pdf Special Study (90 KB) —These awards assist students who pursue educational opportunities which require travel. This includes specialized workshops, summer courses in advanced methods, courses in which exotic languages are taught, or other forms of specialized training entailing fees and/or travel expenses.
pdf Pre-Dissertation (90 KB) —These awards provide funding for travel, for students beginning their doctoral research. They are intended for students who would materially benefit from an opportunity to explore research sites, arrange for access to archives or collections, or otherwise conduct pilot or sample studies. The program is particularly targeted at students whose preliminary work will contribute to their subsequent ability to write successful proposals for external fellowships or research grants to fund the primary research or the writing of the dissertation.
- Requirements: Completed application and 1-2 page statement about your project/request.
- Department Deadline: February 15, 2017 at 9:00AM
This is a dissertation fellowship for students who have advanced to candidacy (i.e., are ABD).
- Requirements: Completed application form, two page statement describing your dissertation project, 25 word abstract, copy of your Rutgers graduate transcript, and two letters of recommendation.
- Department Deadline: Friday, February 24, 2017 at 9:00AM
The Rutgers Center for Historical Analysis (RCHA) provides Fellowships for graduate students and faculty. Graduate fellows will participate in ongoing meetings and events at the Center and will have access to all of its services. They are also expected to attend weekly seminars and occasional lectures and/or conferences.
- Requirements: Application, 3-4 page description of project, CV, and contact information for 3 references (for student applicants).
- Deadline: TBA (Submit applications directly to RCHA.)
This award is for teaching and graduate assistants to help fund activities associated with academic progress. This may include summer support, research, and travel to conferences.
- Requirements: Completed application form. CV may be included, but the entire application cannot exceed four pages.
- Deadline: Monday, April 3, 2017 at 9:00AM