Fellowships & Grants
- Sociology Department Small Grants
- School of Graduate Studies Travel Grant
- Center for Cultural Analysis Fellowship
- Off-Campus Dissertation Development Awards
- Bevier Fellowship
- Rutgers Center for Historical Analysis
- Professional Development Fund
The Department of Sociology has two competitions per year for small grants to support graduate student expenses for research or conference travel. We offer a limited number of grants for amounts up to $500.
Research grants – These awards are intended to assist graduate students in covering the costs incurred in conducting their research. Budgeted items may include costs such as transcription, software not available in the department computer lab, payment to research subjects, printing costs for surveys, travel to research sites, special training seminars, etc. These grants do NOT fund equipment purchases.
Conference travel grants – These awards are intended to assist in covering the costs incurred in traveling to a professional conference to present your research. Grants may be used to cover expenses for conference registration, transportation, lodging, and per diem food costs. You are eligible for a travel grant for presenting your research in a regular paper, roundtable, or poster session although priority will be given to regular paper presentations.
- Requirements: Completed application, description of research/conference, budget justification
- November 1, 2017 at 12:00 noon
- April 25, 2018 at 12:00 noon
The Graduate School awards Conference Travel Grants twice a year to help support the cost of travel for students to present their research at conferences.
- Requirements: Submit completed application
- Department Deadlines:
- October 1, 2017 at 12:00 noon
- March 1, 2018 at 9:00 AM
The Center for Cultural Analysis (CCA) offers annual fellowships to students who have completed their coursework and may be in the process of writing their dissertations. The fellows will participate in a seminar and attend all public functions of the CCA.
- Requirements: Letter of application (2-3 single-spaced pages), information form, a brief project abstract (250-400 words), CV, two letters of recommendation
- Department Deadline: November 17, 2017
This award is intended for SGS students at the beginning of their doctoral research who would materially benefit from field-specific research opportunities. It is also designed to connect students with the GradFund office. More information is available on the SGS website.
- Requirements: Completed application form (available on SGS website), short statement about your project (2 single-spaced pages maximum), CV
- Department Deadline: February 22, 2018
Dissertation fellowship for students who have completed both qualifying papers and defended their dissertation proposal.
- Requirements:Completed application form (available on SGS website), 1-2 page singlespaced statement about your dissertation project, title and 25 word abstract, copy of your Rutgers graduate transcript, and two letters of recommendation.
- Department Deadline: February 22, 2018 at 9:00AM
The Rutgers Center for Historical Analysis (RCHA) provides Fellowships for graduate students and faculty. Graduate fellows will participate in ongoing meetings and events at the Center and will have access to all of its services. They are also expected to attend weekly seminars and occasional lectures and/or conferences.
- Requirements: Application, 3-4 page description of project, CV, and contact information for 3 references (for student applicants).
- Deadline: TBA (Submit applications directly to RCHA.)
This award is for teaching and graduate assistants to help fund activities associated with academic progress. This may include summer support, research, and travel to conferences.
- Requirements: Completed application form. CV may be included, but the entire application cannot exceed four pages.
- Deadline: Monday, April 3, 2017 at 9:00AM